Homeschooling Verification Procedures for Extra-Curricular Participation
Parents of homeschooled students wanting to participate in extra-curricular activities in the Hillsboro Community Unit School District must meet the following guidelines:
1. Student must enroll at HJHS or HHS before participation begins.
2. Student must regularly attend and maintain a passing grade in at least one course taught at HJHS or HHS. Student must be enrolled during the semester(s) in which a sport takes place 3. Applicant must submit the Homeschool Student Extra-Curricular Participation Application which is available at the district office and on our website.
4. The application must be submitted to the school district 60 days prior to the start of the extra curricular activity in which the student(s) wish to participate.
5. Application must provide verification and documentation that all required subjects are to be taught:
a. Illinois requires an “adequate course of instruction” for every child covering the following branches of education:
∙ Language arts
∙ Biological and physical sciences
∙ Social sciences
∙ Fine arts
∙ Physical development and health
The State Board of Education treats biological and physical science as one combined branch of instruction, and physical development and health as another combined branch.
6. Instruction must be in English.
7. Application should explain how letter grades will be established to meet the minimum requirements set forth by IHSA and/or IESA.
8. Applicants agree to submit current letter grades in each course to the building principal weekly using a district approved format and timeline.
9. The applicant agrees to comply with school district requests for documentation of completed course work.
10. The applicant agrees to comply with school district requests to directly conduct student interviews and/or assessments to verify that academic progress is consistent with grade reporting.
11. The application must be approved and all fees paid before student will be able to participate in the extra-curricular activity.
The Hillsboro Community School District fosters a student-centered culture with high expectations for each student to reach his or her full potential.